- A cashew producer in India wanted to use image processing to automatically detect cashew grades based on size and remove low quality cashews.
- The company would need new hardware with a camera interface and a unique algorithm.
- The hardware would need to process 10 cashews/second, bringing a single cashew into a camera frame at a time.
- Designed a conveyer belt to deliver individual cashews to the camera, making processing and algorithm implementation easier and faster.
- Designed and developed an FPGA-based board to implement the algorithm and enable the high frame rate to process 10 cashews/second.
- Enabled continuous improvement with an optimised algorithm and better camera module.
Machine Learning enables independent grading of cashews
Cashew enters conveyer bel
Cashew travels down conveyor belt
FPGA-based algorithm checks cashew quality
Grading decision made
Cashew sent to suitable container based on grade
- Increased the accuracy and efficiency of cashew grading.
- Increased revenues by enabling company to sell more cashews with high quality grading.
- Reduced manual labor costs through automation.