- A client in the agricultural sector needed to know whether satellite-retrieved soil moisture data was reliable.
- The satellite-based soil moisture data was needed to monitor droughts.
- The soil moisture estimation algorithm needed to be scalable.
- Retrieved soil moisture data.
- Took measurements using a Theta Probe instrument in India and COSMOS data in UK.
- Compared satellite-estimated data to data taken from the field.
- Found that software algorithms provided soil moisture data with 85-90% accuracy.
- Validated an algorithm to provide quality soil moisture data sets in any region of the world.